Critical Care and Telemetry Nursing Unit
Welcome to the critical care units of Lake Norman Regional Medical Center.
Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
CCU specializes in caring for patients with heart of vascular disease. Our patients may have had a heart attack or heart failure, need special heart medications, or require special cardiac procedures.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
ICU provides comprehensive continuous care for critically ill patients. They may require assistance with breathing, as well as other life supporting measures.
Progressive Critical Care Unit (PCCU)
PCCU is dedicated to patients who may need cardiac monitoring or who may have special respiratory requirements.
CCU/ICU/PCCU Visiting Hours
Patients are admitted to this unit in order to receive intensive monitoring by our highly skilled nursing staff. It is important to the well-being of the patient that visiting hours are limited and restricted to immediate family members.
CCU/ICU Visting Hours
- 9:00a.m. – 10:00a.m.
- 1:00p.m. – 2:00p.m.
- 5:00p.m. – 6:00p.m.
- 8:00p.m. – 9:00p.m.
Only two (2) visitors at a time.
PCCU Visiting Hours
Family members of PCCU patients are welcome to stay overnight in the patient’s room.
Children under 12 years of age are not permitted in the unit.
There is a telephone in the waiting area if you need to speak with a nurse when the unit is closed to visitors.
For more information on critical care, please click here.
When a critical care patient’s situation improves, in many instances, the patient can be transferred to telemetry. While breathing patterns and heart functions are still closely monitored, patients have more freedom to move around and receive visitors. In telemetry, patients are closely supervised to check for any adverse effects from medications, and diagnostic tests are run regularly to monitor the progress of recovery. When a patient’s health situation is considered stable, that patient is then usually moved from the unit into a regular hospital room (in the Med/Surg unit) to complete recovery. Some patients may be discharged to home from the Telemetry Unit.\
An Excellent Experience
Lake Norman Regional Medical Center strives to provide excellent care and to treat all patients with compassion and dignity. When we exceed your expectations, we want to hear about it. Please share your compliments and concerns by calling the manager of the critical care units at 704-660-4260.
Family Responsibilities While Visiting The Critical Care Areas
In order to provide excellent care to the patients in the CCU/ICU/PCCU areas, we sincerely request family cooperation. While visiting, it’s important to:
- Please wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before entering and leaving the unit. If you have recently been ill, please check with our staff members prior to visiting the patient.
- Please remember that each patient room is limited to two visitors.
- Please allow only children age 12 and above into the CCU/ICU/PCCU areas.
- Wear a shirt and shoes at all times.
- Please check with the nurse before giving a patient food or drink or assisting them with toileting or getting out of bed.
- Please remain in the patient’s room while visiting to help ensure privacy for all patients. A staff member may also close the door or draw the curtains for privacy.
- Please step out of the room if asked by a caregiver. Our staff may need to provide care to the patient. If this happens, we ask that you return to the waiting room until the nurse or doctor contacts you in order to help us maintain patient privacy.
- You may always contact a nurse by pressing the nurse call bell for assistance.